Holistic Training

MASHUP® is a program that believes in nourishing your mind, body and spirit to truly achieve optimal wellness. MASHUP® is not just a workout, but a scientific formula to live a balanced lifestyle.  Whether you’re taking a MASHUP® class, using one of our DVDs or working through our seminar, you will quickly realize that exercise is only one small piece of the puzzle.  So what exactly do we need to be doing to start living healthier? What does it take to achieve a higher level of wellness? We want you to maintain a healthy balance that results an overall net effect of better health. Period! We say this because we don’t want you to walk away thinking that you can never indulge in non-beneficial things again. Our hope is that you significantly enhance things that are beneficial for you and that you are implementing them at least 80% of the time. The things you think of when you want indulge etc. (non-beneficial) should be allocated to the remaining 20% of the time or less. Here are 8 tenets to help you reach your goals and improve your health!

 Tenet #1

 Fuel up on healthy proteins (grass-fed/wild-caught) or other healthy protein supplement, vegetables, healthy fats (avocado, olives, olive oil, coconut, coconut oil, grass-fed butter, etc.) and some fruits (eat twice as many vegetables as you do fruits). 
Try to avoid sugars and starches and all other processed foods from your diet at least 80-90% of the time. Remember that everything is permissible but not beneficial. Try to have the beneficial items always, and just the permissible items occasionally (once a week, special occasions, etc.) You and your family will significantly benefit from healthier nutrition. An easy way to determine the better option is to go with the one-ingredient foods. Aim to stay between 50-100 grams of carbohydrates per day comprised of mostly vegetables.   You do not need more than that for energy, especially if you are eating a moderate amount of healthy fats which are the body’s preferred source of fuel.
*While our recommendations do not follow USDA guidelines/ food pyramid, they can significantly improve your health and help you reach your goals.  From our medical practice and personal training experience, patients who have chosen to make these changes have had significant success in managing their diabetes and hypertension with weight loss as an added benefit.

 Tenet #2

Exercise Efficiently (Don’t waste hours doing the wrong types of exercise)! Exercise contributes to 20% of your body’s composition…the other 80% starts in the kitchen.  It is also considered one of the best forms of preventative medicine you could be benefitting from. You do not need to spend hours doing cardiovascular exercise but only maybe 5-15 minutes of high intensity exercise in addition to 5-10 minutes of core and strengthening exercises several times per week.
 Our scientific workout formula (Mind/Body, Agility & Strength, and High Intensity Intervals) is a great way to get in the right amount of exercise to achieve and maintain optimal health.  More time spent exercising doesn’t necessarily mean more weight loss, but you might need to spend more time if you are in the process of training for an endurance event.  In that case, you can always combine our 15-minute workouts doing 3-4 back to back.

Believe it or not, non-exercise movement is just as important as purposeful exercise if not more so. Research suggests that prolonged sitting is considered a risk factor for shortened life span and chronic conditions. Therefore, in addition to performing several short workouts per week, make sure to always get up and move around at least once per hour if possible for a minute or so. You could use it as a water break or get in 10 air squats or pushups.

 Tenet #3

Establish a Running Partner! 
Whether it’s a person, technology, or your bible, you will have more success with some form of accountability. You can do this by journaling in an application such as My Fitness Pal, always talking to someone about what you are doing or meeting up with them 2-3 times per week to exercise together, or spending your first five minutes of the day in the word or using something similar to our Stewardship of Healthy Living Seminar.

Tenet #4

Drink More Water, Herbal Teas, Fermented Drinks (Kombucha, etc).  Unless you have a medical condition such as congestive heart failure, you should be trying to drink at least ½ of your body weight in ounces.  For example, if you weigh 200 lbs. then try to drink 100 ounces of water per day. Make sure a portion of it contains electrolytes to prevent headaches, digestive issues, lightheadedness, and muscle cramping.  One great way you can kickstart your day of hydration is by drinking a glass of filtered water first thing in the morning with a pinch or 1/4 tsp of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt to promote 

healthier adrenal glands. Unhealthy adrenal glands contribute to obesity, poor sleep, and poor energy levels.

 Tenet #5

Remove Toxins From Your Diet and Your Environment. 
Start by eliminating artificial preservatives, sweeteners, etc.  Next, choose organic or local produce when possible.  Remember that organic produce is not more nutritious, but it is less harmful because it contains only a fraction of the chemicals, pesticides etc. that non-organic produce does.  To save money, use the skin/peal rule.  Skin or peals that you usually eat buy organic or local, those that you don’t eat buy non-organic.  You can also refer to the dirty dozen list when trying to decide where to invest in organic or local produce.  Lastly, think about toxins in your household cleaning products and hair and skin products.  Try moving towards natural cleaners found in common household products that are less harmful such as vinegar and baking soda.
  You can also try substituting shampoo or lotion with products only natural ingredients. Not only do toxins cause a host of medical conditions, but they cause your fat cells to enlarge.  By removing toxins, you will experience better health overall and a leaner physique because your will more easily be able to shrink your fats cells.  Remember, that toxins also include nicotine and artificial sweeteners etc.

 Tenet #6

Get Your Probiotics, DHA, Magnesium, and Vitamin D!

Bottom Line: Our modern diet is fairly SAD (Standard American Diet) with all of the processed foods and chemicals it is made up of. In addition, research indicates that it is consistently decreasing in in nutrients that affect our immune systems, our brains, and our longevity.

Probiotics: You can take a daily supplement and/or eat more fermented foods and make your own kefir or kombucha soda (both are rich in probiotics).  An imbalance in gut bacteria can cause digestive problems, impaired immunity, skin issues, weight problems and more.

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid): Omega 3 fats significantly contribute to healthier cells in the body, which reduces inflammation. Low levels of omega 3s contribute to numerous degenerative diseases such as arthritis in addition to depression, dementia, and poor cardiovascular health. Our diet has a high amount of omega 6s found in processed foods and a low amount of omega 3s. You can increase DHA by eating more wild-caught fish such as salmon or taking a supplement like fermented cod liver oil.

Magnesium: It helps to detoxify the body and is crucial to brain health. It promotes relaxation, lower blood pressure, bowel regulation, improved sleep and muscle soreness relief to name a few benefits. It can be obtained from dark leafy greens, whey, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened cocoa, almond butter, seaweed and flaxseed. However, our soil is steadily decreasing in nutrients so we can also supplement with magnesium oil body spray or cream and oral supplementation such as Natural Calm.

Vitamin D: The list of health benefits includes prevention of viruses, cancer, cognitive decline, depression, fatigue, etc. A normal level vitamin D is between 50-70 ng/ml year-round done by blood test. Most Americans don’t receive enough ultraviolet light to boost the skin’s production of Vitamin D; therefore a D3 supplement can suffice. One can safely take 1000-2000 units daily, but it is always best to check with a physician before starting supplementation.

Tenet #7

Sleep!  Most adults need between 7-9 hours and almost all of us don’t get it.  Try instituting good sleep hygiene habits such as avoiding alcohol or caffeine several hours before bed, avoiding TV right be before bed, staying on a schedule (go to bed and rise at the same time as much as possible), keeping your thermostat down less than 70 degrees, and sleeping without any lights on. Sleep deprivation can negate your fitness and nutrition efforts and even keep you from losing weight.

 Tenet #8

Relax!  Make it a priority to take some time without stressful situations, news, TV, etc. Try setting aside time to read something enjoyable, take a warm Epsom bath, pray, go for a walk, or spend time with friends and family.  Not taking time to relax can also negate your fitness and nutrition efforts and even keep you from losing weight.